Who is INTRA?
INTRA is a South African based developer and publisher of occupational health and safety training material.
WHAT does INTRA offer?
INTRA equips those who wish to do their own health and safety training with legal-compliance training materials.
What makes INTRA unique?
The team at INTRA believe that health and safety training must be “risk-specific” and not generic.
How does INTRA differ from other health and safety training companies?
INTRA equips trainers to do their own training, while training companies train employees.
Who owns INTRA?
INTRA is a 50/50 BEE level 4 partnership between Ken Annandale and Penny Jones.
Do I need to be a trained facilitator to run the INTRA training programmes?
It is not an INTRA requirement, however we urge you to acquire the skills to present training. This could be in the form of an ETDP Facilitator course.
Does INTRA offer “train the trainer” training?
INTRA have a 2 day “trainer orientation” programme which we present quarterly as a public programme or in-house by arrangement.
How can I get in touch with INTRA?
Contact us via Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp and FaceBook chat. It’s up to you. You tell us what works for you.
Who uses INTRA training material?
There is a long list of clients on our website. We have over 500 users in Southern Africa and beyond.
Why does INTRA not run training programmes?
INTRA do not do training in opposition to our AFFILIATE Licensees, but rather focus on equipping AFFILIATE Licensees who do the training.
What makes INTRA different from other training providers?
INTRA does not run conventional training programmes. Our mission is to equip AFFILIATE Licensees to do health and safety training for themselves
How long has INTRA been in existence?
The original training company started about 25 years ago. We founded the training material development and publishing company more than 10 years ago.
Who can be SETA accredited?
SETA only accredits training providers, not trainers or course developers.
Why are developers of course material not accredited by SETA?
There is no provision in the NQF system for the accreditation of course material developers.
How do I know the material is not plagiarised?
Our ethical values dictate that we never “cut and paste”. This is very easy to verify by searching online for whole phrases. It’s just not worth our reputation by following this illegal practice.
Who develops the training material for INTRA?
INTRA have a small dedicated team of subject matter specialists who develop and verify our material.
Is INTRA SETA/QCTO accredited?
INTRA’s user-friendly training material is Saiosh CPD accredited as there is no provision in the NQF Act for the registration, verification or accreditation of training material or developers.
Who is Saiosh?
Saiosh is the South African institute of Occupational Safety and Health, one of the biggest SAQA registered professional bodies in South Africa.
Is INTRA accredited to provide training material?
There is no provision in the NQF Act for the accreditation of the training material or developers. INTRA training material is, however, fully Saiosh CPD accredited.
How does INTRA ensure the training material is “risk-specific”?
We develop well researched “content-rich” training material in a fully customizable format, which we then provide to our clients and encourage and orientate them to adapt it to address their specific risks.
How long have INTRA been developing training material?
INTRA was previously a training company and on request started making our training material available to trainers some 15 years ago.
What do you mean by generic?
Generic “one-size-fits-all” training covers the basics, but not the specifics. “Off-the-shelf” courses are not designed to address the individual’s specific “risk-profile”.
What do you mean by "risk-specific"?
Each workplace has its own unique “risk-profile” which requires employees to be “informed, instructed and trained” in the management of those specific risks.

AFFILIATE Obligations

What certificates may I issue?
AFFILIATE Licensees are entitled to issue a “certificate of attendance”, “participation” or “legal-compliance”. They are not entitled to issue a “certificate of competency” in terms of the NQF Act.
What are my obligations in terms of the Consumer Protection Act?
The Consumer Protection Act requires that all providers supply the very best product and services and that they always advise their clients of legal and best practices.
Do I need SETA/QCTO accreditation to run health and safety training?
Accreditation has become a trend amongst some employers to enable them to recoup some of their Skills Levy. INTRA assists AFFILIATE Licensees to become accredited via the services of an independent SETA/QCTO Accreditation specialist, if requested. The cost of accreditation is not covered by INTRA.
Do I need Saiosh CPD accreditation?
Membership of this professional body is highly recommended. Saiosh has a process by which AFFILIATE Licensees can apply for accreditation as Corporate Members. INTRA provides support to AFFILIATE Licensees wanting to apply for Saiosh accreditation.
Do I need Department of Employment and Labour approval?
Other than for first aid and driven machinery regulation operator training, Department of Employment and Labour approval is not required.
Must I add my own photos, videos, policies and procedures to the training material?
Part of the essential customization includes relevant material, practical exercises, up-to-date forms and documentation and risk-specific examples.
Am I compelled to customize the material?
In terms of the Consumer Protection Act, all AFFILIATE Licensees are encouraged to adapt the training material to address the risk-specific needs of both their clients and employees.


Will I be allowed to use the INTRA logo and branding?
AFFILIATE Licensees are required to use the INTRA logo and branding without modification in their marketing, on their website and training material.
What rights do I get in terms of the agreement?
INTRA grant the right to reproduce an unlimited number of learner guides for the exclusive training of learners. This right extends to the use of the INTRA brand in unrestricted markets.
Does INTRA ’s indemnity indemnify me from claims by clients or employees?
As publishers of occupational health and safety training material, INTRA is not in the position to indemnify users or learners from any claims stemming from the use of the training material by AFFILIATE Licensees or users.
Can I translate the training material into another language?
Yes you may, however this will not affect the INTRA copyright in any manner.
Can I remove your logo and copyright from the material?
The INTRA logo and copyright may not be removed from any of our publications and must always be displayed.
Can I resell the training material?
No. This is the exclusive right of INTRA.
Can I license other people to use your training material?
No. This is the exclusive right of INTRA.
Am I allowed to sell the learner guides on the open market?
No. The sale of learner guides as a publication is the exclusive right of INTRA.
Am I allowed to create online training courses using your material?
If the e-learning is for in-house learners you may create online training; however, this requires exclusive written permission from INTRA. AFFILIATE Licensees may under no circumstances sell e-learning, based on the INTRA course material, on the open market.

Fees & Payment

What do I get for my monthly licence fee?
Payment of the AFFILIATE monthly licence fee results in the AFFILIATE receiving all new training material, all updates, all online orientation and any personal developer support if required.
What are the different payment options?
Payment for the AFFILIATE license is in the form of the full fee, or a single up-front fee and monthly licence.
I have more than one training region, will I have to pay a separate licence fee for each?
This depends on the nature of your company and can be discussed with us.
Do your fees include accreditation?
SETA/QCTO accreditation costs are not covered in anyway by INTRA.
Do you have a payment plan?
Applicants may make representation to our finance department should they require a payment plan.
Do you accept credit cards?
INTRA require payment in the form of EFT or cash, but not credit cards or cheque.
Are there any money-back guarantees?
Due to the fact that all our material is delivered in a digital format, the money back guarantee is limited to 3 days from time of delivery. An administration fee of 25% will be charged.
What do your different packages cost?
As our training packs and materials differ, the prices can be obtained in a written quotation on request. Alternatively, you can click on the download link in the email sent to you.


How soon can I start training?
Once the AFFILIATE has completed the recommended YouTube orientation and customization of the training material, they are at liberty to commence training.
Does INTRA issue a certificate of affiliation?
Yes. All AFFILIATE Licensees in good standing receive an annual license which is valid for one year from date of issue.
Are new AFFILIATE Licensees required to complete all the relevant orientation modules?
The ideal situation is that AFFILIATE Licensees study all the relevant orientation YouTube videos before customising and presenting the training.
What support will an AFFILIATE receive from INTRA?
INTRA provide support in the form of online orientation, updates to the training material and personal contact with the developers, if required.
Once accepted as an AFFILIATE, what are the next steps?
INTRA issues an invoice, welcomes the applicant and delivers the training material to the new AFFILIATE.
How do you conduct the applicant interview?
One of our team will discuss your visions and plans with you via Skype, WhatsApp call or Zoom.
How long will it take before I know whether I have been accepted as an AFFILIATE?
Our finance department usually takes no more than 48 hours before notifying the AFFILIATE.
What additional documentation must I provide with my AFFILIATE application?
Your application will only be considered if accompanied by your personal CV, a copy of your identity document or passport and CIPC registration document.
Where do I start the AFFILIATE application process?
Submit your enquiry on our website. You will receive a response email with links to the application form. Download, complete and email it back to us.
How do I speak to one of the team at INTRA?
One of our team will connect with you via Skype, WhatsApp call or Zoom. You will find our contact details on the website.

How To Start A Health And Safety Training Business

Must I pay for product updates and support?
The monthly AFFILIATE licence fee covers all new training material as well as any legal updates or modifications. Individual training material users pay a nominal update fee.
Who can I train using this training material?
The Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations lists supervisors, employees, health and safety representatives and first aiders amongst those who require health and safety training. You can also train members of the public in “life-skills” courses, using this training material.
What infrastructure do I need to run a training business?
This depends on whether you want to run a training establishment with training rooms or present training on client’s premises. Either way basic presentation material, equipment and practical training aids will be required.
What does the law say about compulsory mandatory health and safety training?
There are various places in the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations that stipulate that legal compliance training must take place, Section 8 being the most prominent.
What areas and territories can I operate in?
The licensee agreement does not grant or restrict AFFILIATE Licensees to any given geographical or physical areas. AFFILIATE Licensees are free to operate wherever they find business.
Must I draw up a business plan?
Yes. All entrepreneurs require a clear vision they want their business to take in the form of a short 2 to 3 year business plan.
What is the sales and marketing to operational time ratio?
Business owners need to spend at least 50% of their time generating new business and supporting their existing clients and not solely focus on training and administration.
Do I need knowledge and experience in sales and marketing?
Yes. All business owners require ongoing personal development in the area of sales and marketing.
What do you mean by entrepreneurial marketer?
Sales and marketing activities and initiatives are critical and must be applied on an ongoing basis for a business to succeed.
How much money is to be made from health and safety training?
Considering that health and safety is a legal requirement and that all employees need to be trained, an AFFILIATE who is an effective marketer should be able to generate a substantial turnover.
How do I know if I’m the right person to start a health and safety training business?
There are 3 basic elements which are required. The first being a subject matter generalist, the second a capable communicator and the third being an entrepreneurial marketer.
Can I add training to my existing business model?
Those wishing to expand their existing businesses may offer health and safety training to their clients.
Am I allowed to make money by training others with this material?
Yes. Our copyright agreement allows you to use the training material for commercial and retail purposes.
Will I have to register a company?
We strongly advise you to register a company as it provides certain legal protections and tax benefits.
Am I able to run my own health and safety training business?
Yes, you are advised to register an independent company and operate as an AFFILIATE under licence from INTRA.

Orientation & Support

Will you help me with the advertising, sales and marketing aspects?
INTRA will provide limited assistance and guidance in the field of sales and marketing on request.
Other than product knowledge, do you provide business orientation?
While this is not our primary focus, AFFILIATE Licensees are welcome to ask questions regarding the registration of their company, access to accountants and tax specialists, website and social media experts, ETDP training providers, etc. We frequently make recommendations regarding books to read, YouTube videos to watch, and websites to subscribe to.
Explain user online orientation?
INTRA are constantly developing webinar-based modules which are uploaded to YouTube for the use by AFFILIATE Licensees.
Do you provide orientation and support for new AFFILIATE Licensees?
INTRA provides online orientation and live support Via Skype, WhatsApp, or Zoom if required.
Will I have to open a Dropbox, Skype and Zoom account?
Yes. You are strongly encouraged to open Dropbox, Skype and Zoom accounts.
What formats do I receive the material in?
The customizable training material has been developed in Microsoft Word for Windows, PowerPoint, Adobe pdf and various image formats.
How and when will the training material be delivered?
The training material will be delivered via Dropbox or WeTransfer on receipt of Proof Of Payment.

Products & Services INTRA Offers

Can you tell me more about your publications for management and employees?
The OHS Act says employers must “inform, Instruct and train”. This is an excellent way of informing employees. We publish books for distribution to those who often miss the formal training sessions.
Can you tell me more about your PLUS Pack License?
The PLUS Pack is the ideal in-house training system for employers such as corporates, government, universities and multi-national companies.
Can you tell me more about your AFFILIATE Licence?
The AFFILIATE license is somewhat like a franchise where you run your own training business using our training material. This is ideal for in-house trainers or training service providers.
Can I convert from being a select training material user to an AFFILIATE licensee?
Yes you may. For some this is an affordable way to build up to becoming an INTRA AFFILIATE Licensee.
Does INTRA support and update the material?
Yes. This is one of our primary objectives. If legislation or methodology changes, we adapt the material accordingly.
Which of your select training materials are unit standard aligned?
More than half our select training materials have been aligned. We have a dedicated unit standard alignment specialist who will assist if necessary.
What do I get in a select training material pack?
There is a comprehensive facilitator guide and PowerPoint visuals. The learner receives a learner guide and material. Additional course material such as an adaptable “Certificate of Compliance” template is included.
How long are the various courses?
They range from half-day to 3 day short-courses; however AFFILIATE Licensees are at liberty to adapt their own courses by modifying the course content to suit their client’s employee development programme.

Registration & Accreditation of Trainers

What is meant by a SAQA short course?
SAQA recognises certain non- credit bearing, non-unit standard aligned courses as “short courses”.
What is meant by credit-bearing training?
SAQA and the NQF Act have made provision for the allocation of credits to learners who attend a unit standard aligned course. These courses are significantly longer, more costly and administratively onerous. The SAQA website will explain more.
What is meant by legal-compliance / mandatory training?
The OHS Act and Regulations stipulate that certain training must take place. These are regarded as legal-compliance courses. Examples include supervisor, health and safety rep, first aid, working at heights and working with hazardous chemical substances.
What is the difference between approval and accreditation?
Approval is granted to the training provider by the Department of Employment and Labour, while accreditation is granted by Saiosh or SETA/QCTO.
What are the various words used to indicate the standing of a training provider?
Words used to describe the status of a training provider include registration, approval, accreditation and certification. These are covered in one or more of our YouTube videos.
What does the law say about accreditation?
It is important to note that there are only a few instances where accreditation is required. Other than certain first aid, working at heights and operator training, training providers may present health and safety training without accreditation or approval.
What approvals do I need to present health and safety training?
The law requires that employers train their employees, but does not require special registration or approval for those who do general health and safety training.

Skills Needed To Become An AFFILIATE

Do I need orientation to run these training courses?
Ideally, yes. INTRA have developed YouTube videos to orientate AFFILIATE Licensees and training material users in the most efficient way to customize and present the training.
What is meant by "risk-specific"?
Each organization has a unique “risk-profile”, which once professionally identified, must be embedded into their culture, policies, procedures, contracts and training.
What does the law say about adapting the course content?
The Occupational Health and Safety Act and other regulations require that employers identify the dangers, hazards and risks in the workplace and train their employees in the “risk-specific” precautionary measures to be taken. Our training material is provided in a customizable format. We have a YouTube video on this topic.
Do I have to be a subject-matter-specialist to present these courses?
INTRA provide comprehensive facilitator guides, which when followed closely will assist both the novice and experienced trainer in the effective running of these training courses. The quality of the training would be enhanced significantly by the trainer’s knowledge and experience in these topics.
What is the difference between an instructor, a trainer and a facilitator?
The terms to describe the differences are vague, however the title facilitator Is used extensively by SAQA and SETA/QCTO.
Do I have to be a registered facilitator to present these courses?
SAQA and the NQF Act do not require facilitators to be registered, but do require the registration of assessors and moderators.
Do I have to become a facilitator to present these courses?
No you don’t. The Occupational Health and Safety Act only requires that a first aid instructor be formally trained. Employers and business owners may run the own training without this qualification.

The AFFILIATE User Agreement

Can I become the owner of the training material?
An outright purchase of the training material is possible. On full payment, ownership transfers to the user.
When does the AFFILIATE license Agreement end?
The AFFILIATE agreement is applicable for a 60-month period.
What guarantees are there?
INTRA guarantees that our material is plagarisation free and to the best of our ability, relevant to the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
What do you mean by "site licence"?
Organisations with multiple divisions or regions require more than one “site licence”.
Am I purchasing or leasing the training material from INTRA?
The INTRA trainer’s kits are under lease to the AFFILIATE for 60 months, where after the Licensee support agreement can be renewed, or ownership transferred to the AFFILIATE.
Do I operate under the name of INTRA?
No. The name of INTRA is for the exclusive use of INTRA-SAFE (Pty) Limited, however AFFILIATE Licensees in good standing, have access to the INTRA branding described in the AFFILIATE Licensee agreement.
Do I operate under my personal or company name?
Due to the protection and tax benefits of operating a registered company, we recommend that you run your training in the name of an independent wholly owned company.

Begin your Journey Today

Request a quote to become an INTRA™ QCTO Accredited Training Provider